Thursday, September 07, 2006



Storms of Life

The Bible uses the storm as a picture of hard times in our lives. These “life storms” may include danger, sickness, persecution or the death of a loved one. When hard times come, people sometimes feel as if their circumstances, like giant waves or howling winds, are about to destroy them.

David experienced these feelings many times. One time, as he ran for his life, he felt especially desperate. “The waves of death swirled about me,” he later said. “The torrents of destruction overwhelmed me” (2 Samuel 22:5).

But in the midst of terrible danger, David made an important discovery: God was nearby, ready to save him. David called out for help and God answered.

“He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me” (2 Samuel 22:17-18). David not only escaped death, he later became Israel's king.

Just as God uses physical storms to accomplish His purposes, He may use difficult times in your life to strengthen your faith or draw you closer to Him. Like Jonah, Paul and David, you also have an important place in God's plan.

No matter how big the storm is, God is right beside you. Psalm 46:1 says, “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” The Lord offers His children protection from life's storms.

Next time you hear thunder, feel the driving wind or watch ocean waves crash against the rocks, remember that God controls every storm—just as He controls your life.

No comments: